Science and Research
Scientific research is a vital and strategically important part of Masaryk Memorial Cancer Institute activities. It is statutorily embedded in MMCI regulations. Moreover, research is one of the main activities for which our organization was established. Thus, MMCI a unique center in the Czech Republic which hosts under one roof both basic and applied research in the field of oncology and related biomedical fields. MMCI has its own research facility and it also participates in numerous domestic and international cooperation projects.
1Focus of science and research
The MMCI scientific program focuses on six key topics:
- Precision oncology in the field of prevention, diagnosis, surgical, radiation and pharmacologic cancer treatment
- Translational research in molecular oncology and genetics
- Immune system and cancer
- Aging and cancer
- Supporting expert systems in oncology
- Project connectivity in EU
2Direction of Science and Research
- Independent researchers (introduced in attachment) covering basic, translational, as well as clinical research provide feedback on research in the MMCI, discuss relevant indicators of further development and recommend a strategy for further development.
- The Division of Science and Research at MMCI has two advisory bodies - the Scientific Board (held twice a year) and the Clinical Research Council (meets regularly once a month). The Division is composed from several independent units - the Bank of Biological Material, the Research Center for Applied Molecular Oncology (RECAMO), Project Administration Office, Project Support Office and, last but not least, the activities of the Scientific Secretary.
You can send us your requests and questions in the field of research
5Bank of Biological Material
The Bank of Biological Material (BBM) stores long-term frozen tissues or tissues processed otherwise and other human biological material originating from MMCI cancer patients. The samples are thus used, including relevant clinical information, primarily for research projects.
6 Scientific Secretary
The Scientific Secretary shall ensure the organization and management of the Scientific Board. He/she participates in the organization of scientific work and creates new strategies and conceptual development of science and research in MMCI.
Scientific Secretary →
The Scientific Board is an advisory body to the Director in matters of science and research carried out in MMCI, including conceptual and strategic direction. The Scientific Board discusses and gives an opinion mainly on projects solved within the framework of grant support, including projects financed from institutional support.
8Clinical Research Council
The MMCI Clinical Research Council (hereinafter referred to as the CRC) is a body of the Director for Science and Research, which is established to support the development of MMCI scientific research activities, internal coordination, registration and supervision of these activities.
9Project Support Office
Project Support Office provides consulting services and methodological guidance in preparation of new research projects, which are applied to internal and external grant schemes. It also provides consulting services to researchers in research implementation. It provides the organizational backup to MMCI Clinical Research Council.
10Project Administration Office
Provides administrative activities for support of ongoing research projects. Administratively ensures the application for new grant project proposals. Collaborates with researchers in ensuring the implementation of individual projects.
The MMCI is actively involved in projects of research, education and development. Further information about grants can be found in the Czech version in the download files.